Monday, August 07, 2006
Going Home
Since it's been awhile I'll post two today.

I've been thinking a ton lately about going home. I don't mean going to the physical place of my childhood. I am thinking about going home to 1985. I was eight years old that year. If I had a time machine I'd go and shake that little boy into realizing what he had. I would sit him down and tell him to cherish every moment of that blissful time he is enjoying. The cares of the world were so far away from me then. My biggest problem was where I had placed the cape from my Darth Vader action figure (note it's not a doll, boys play with action figures!). I want to crawl into mommy's lap and cry when something hurts me. I want to go to school and play with clay instead of fractals. I want to look up to my heroes for hitting a home run instead of being disappointed in them for taking steroids. I want to leave all of my adult problems behind and shrug off the hugs weight of my troubles to lose myself in the park on the slides and swings. I find it tragically ironic that as a child I couldn't wait to grow up and be an adult. In my adult life I would give almost anything to go back to 1985 and start over with some of the knowledge I have today. Oh for the joy of a popsicle and a weekend playing ball at the park. I did not realize your simple pleasures in the days of yore, but I forever long for you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer